Smoky Mac and Cheese
Smoked Gouda and fire-roasted tomatoes add a double hit of smoky flavor to this luscious mac and cheese.
Parmesan-spiked panko crumbs add a crunchy finish, and individual ramekins mean “Yea! All mine!”
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 3 T Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Panko Breadcrumbs
- 6 T Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 8 oz Cavatappi Pasta
- 1 T All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Dry Mustard (Mustard Powder)
- 2 cup Whole Milk
- ¾ tsp Kosher Salt
- ¼ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 4 oz Smoked Gouda Cheese
- 3 oz Sharp White Cheddar Cheese
- 14½ oz Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil 6 (1-cup) ramekins, and set on a baking sheet. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and combine with panko. Stir in 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, undercooking by 2 minutes.
- While pasta is cooking, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and mustard; whisk 2 minutes. Add milk, whisking to combine. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil. Simmer, still whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper and remove from heat; stir in Gouda until fully combined, then stir in Cheddar and remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.
- Drain tomatoes in a strainer. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add tomatoes and pour in sauce. Stir to blend. Transfer to ramekins. Sprinkle panko mixture over tops. Bake about 20 minutes, until golden and cheese is bubbling.