Roasted Asparagus with Parmigiano and Thyme Crumbs
A side dish that makes the most of spring's tender asparagus, all topped off with buttery breadcrumbs.
Roasting asparagus brings out their sweetness. Splurge on Parmigiano Reggiano—you need only a little, and the quality goes a long way.
- 1 T Butter
- ⅓ cup Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 lb Asparagus
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 4 tsp Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese
- ½ tsp Minced Thyme
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs; toss until lightly golden, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until just fragrant and crumbs are more deeply golden, about 1 minute more. Sprinkle with about half the salt and pepper; remove from heat, and let cool.
- Toss asparagus with oil on a heavy rimmed baking sheet, spread in a single layer, and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper. Roast 8 minutes, shaking pan once halfway, or until asparagus are crisp-tender and lightly browned.
- Stir cheese and thyme into breadcrumbs. Arrange asparagus on a serving platter, and sprinkle crumbs across the center.