Key Lime Pie with Whipped Cream Topping
Florida's classic pie still pleases after all these years.
It's always best to grate any fruit rind directly into the bowl instead of onto a work surface. The flavor-intense oils are in the rind; you want every bit of them in the bowl.
- 1⅓ cup Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 2 T Sugar
- ⅓ cup Unsalted Butter
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 14 oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 Egg Whites
- 2 T Sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 T Confectioners' Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To prepare the crumb crust, combine crumbs, granulated sugar and butter. Press evenly on bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake 8 minutes or until edge is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325F. To prepare the filling, combine egg yolks, milk, lime rind and juice, and whisk until blended.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until stiff. (The tips flop over when the beater is lifted.) Do not overbeat. Stir about a third of the whites into milk mixture. Fold in remaining whites. Turn into crust and bake 15 minutes.Â Chill 4 hours or until cold.
- Whip cream until thickened. Add confectionersâ sugar and whip until stiff. Spread over top of pie.