Savory Basil Slice-and-Bakes
Party bites that are ready to bake when you're ready to entertain.
If you like pesto, you'll love these savory wafers that contain the same ingredients. Perfect for parties.
- 2 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 cup Butter
- 8 oz Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Pesto
- ¼ cup Chopped Basil
- 1 cup Walnuts, Chopped
- or 1 cup Chopped Almonds
- or 1 cup Pine Nuts
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt (optional)
- Sift together flour, peppers and salt. Stir in cheese.
- Combine butter and cream cheese; using a mixer, beat until well combined. Add pesto and mix well.
- Add flour mixture, basil leaves and nuts. Mix well.
- Divide dough in half and roll into logs 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll each log in kosher salt, if using. Wrap in waxed paper and chill until firm. If baking later, freeze shaped dough and defrost slightly before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Slice dough 1/4-inch thick. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until edges are golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to a week, or freeze up to a month.