Fresh Summer Squash Casserole
Colorful, peak-season vegetables meld with pasta in the cheesy, creamy casserole.
Whole-milk ricotta makes this casserole extra creamy, but the part-skim variety will work just as well.
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 3 cup Cherry Tomatoes
- or 3 cup Grape Tomatoes
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 12 oz Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
- or 12 oz Part Skim Ricotta Cheese
- 6 oz Feta Cheese
- ½ cup 2% Milk
- 12 oz Dried Gemelli Pasta
- or 12 oz Penne Pasta
- 2 Whole Zucchini
- ½ cup Chopped Basil
- ½ cup Crushed Saltine Crackers
- or ½ cup Ritz Cracker Crumbs
- 1 T Butter
- 8 T Grated Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add tomatoes and sauté over medium heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Add chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute.
- Combine ricotta, feta and milk in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add cooked pasta, tomatoes, zucchini, cheese mixture and basil; stir gently.
- Transfer to a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle butter evenly over top. Sprinkle with Parmigiano Reggiano, if using. Cover and bake 30 to 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.