Black Beans with Chiles
Transform humble black beans into a spectacular side—or filling—or just about any Mexican-style dish.
These beans are the perfect side to cheese quesadillas, tacos or enchiladas. Add extra broth and purée the beans until they're creamy for a black bean soup, if preferred.
- 1 lb Dried Black Beans
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 2 Serrano Chiles (optional)
- or 1 Jalapeño Pepper
- 2 Dried Bay Leaves
- or 2 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 1 T Ground Cumin
- ¼ lb Bacon
- 4¼ cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Rinse beans. Place beans in a large bowl or Dutch oven. Cover with water by several inches. Let soak overnight.
- Place bacon, onion and carrot in a Dutch oven. Cook until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Drain beans and add to pan. Add whole chiles, bay leaves, cumin, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour. Uncover and simmer until beans are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves and chiles.