A New Orleans classic sandwich, Muffulettas are a perfect choice for a lunch-time crowd.
You'll have about 4 cups of olive mix—enough to make 3 sandwiches.
New Orleans-Style Olive Mix
- 2 cup Green Olives, Pimento Stuffed
- ¾ cup Black Olives, Chopped
- or ¾ cup Kalamata Olives, Chopped
- 2 T Chopped Celery
- ¾ cup Chopped Carrot
- ¾ cup Cauliflower Florets
- ¼ cup Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- ½ cup Chopped Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- 2 T Capers
- ¼ tsp Celery Seeds
- 1½ tsp Dried Oregano
- ¾ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1½ tsp White Wine Vinegar
- ¾ cup Olive Oil
- 1 Italian Bread Loaf
- ¼ lb Mozzarella Cheese
- ¼ lb Provolone Cheese
- ¼ lb Deli Ham, Lean
- ¼ lb Hard Salami
- ¼ lb Mortadella, Sliced
- or ¼ lb Bologna
- To prepare olive mix, combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. Spoon into a 1-quart jar with lid. Refrigerate about 1 week before serving. Will keep almost indefinitely in the refrigerator.
- To prepare sandwich, slice Italian bread evenly in half. Spread olive mix on both halves. Layer cheeses and meats evenly on top. Place two halves of sandwich together. Slice into wedges.