Rustic Cornmeal Cake with Macerated Berries
Cornmeal and fresh berries give this summery dessert a rustic, country-style flavor.
Macerating is when you take use a liquid to break up a food ingredient and release its full flavor.
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Butter Stick
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Orange Zest, Freshly Grated
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Stone Ground Yellow Cornmeal
- ½ cup 2% Milk
- 1 cup Fresh Strawberries
- 1 cup Blackberries, Fresh
- 1 cup Fresh Raspberries
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Orange Juice, Fresh
- To prepare cake, preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Combine butter, sugar, orange rind and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until evenly blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and cornmeal alternately with milk, beating just until evenly incorporated. Scrape into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- To prepare berries, mash berries in a large bowl. Add sugar and orange juice and mix gently. Serve with cake.