East-West Black-Eyed Peas
Black-eyed peas, a New Year’s Day must, team up with miso for a bicultural celebration.
Miso, a fermented soybean paste, is available at natural foods supermarkets (in the refrigerator case) and Asian groceries.
- 3 T Vegetable Oil
- 1 Onion
- ½ Chipotle Chile Pepper, Dried
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (optional)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 60 oz Black Eyed Peas, Canned
- 2 T Miso
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper, Freshly Ground
- Heat vegetable oil in a large, heavy skillet. Add onion and chipotle pepper; sautÃ© about 8 minutes. Add carrots, celery, bell pepper and garlic; sautÃ© 5 minutes.
- Place peas in a large Dutch oven. Add onion mixture to peas. Add miso, sesame oil, salt and pepper. Stir gently. Cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated.