Baked Pasta with Sausage, Mushrooms and Fontina
The ultimate fall pasta dish for a casual gathering of family or friends.
The sausage-mushroom mixture can be made a day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container. Rewarm over low heat before combining with the pasta.
- 2 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 12 oz Italian Sausage Links, Sweet
- 1 lb Cremini Mushrooms
- ½ cup Sliced Shallot
- 4 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Minced Rosemary
- ⅓ cup Dry White Wine
- or ⅓ cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 T Unsalted Butter
- 3 T All Purpose Flour
- 2 cup 2% Milk
- 1 lb Dried Rigatoni
- 14 oz Canned Crushed Tomatoes
- 6 oz Fontina Cheese
- 6 T Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large sautÃ© pan over medium heat; add sausage. SautÃ©, breaking up meat until no longer pink and beginning to brown. Transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon; pour off drippings, leaving behind brown bits. Add remaining oil and mushrooms to pan. SautÃ© until mushrooms begin to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add shallots; sautÃ© 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and rosemary; sautÃ© 1 minute more. Add wine, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until wine is nearly evaporated. Season with Â¾ teaspoon salt and pepper. Return sausage to pan and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook until foaming but not colored, about 2 minutes. Whisk in milk; bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with remaining Â¼ teaspoon salt.
- Cook rigatoni according to package directions, undercooking it by 3 minutes. Drain; return to pot. Add sausage mixture to pasta; toss well. Add bÃ©chamel and crushed tomatoes; stir to combine. Stir in fontina and 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Transfer pasta mixture to baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmigiano Reggiano over top; cover with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.