Chicken, Sausage and Seafood Gumbo
The joy of gumbo is that it welcomes most any ingredient.
For a taste of New Orleans, stew up a pot of delicious gumbo, loaded with chicken, seafood, and andouille sausage!
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1½ tsp Paprika
- 1½ tsp Dried Thyme
- 1½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1½ tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1½ tsp Dry Mustard (Mustard Powder)
- 1½ tsp Sugar
- ¾ tsp Ground Cumin
- ¾ tsp Ground White Pepper
- ¾ tsp Onion Powder
- 3 T Vegetable Oil
- 4 Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 8 cup Chicken Broth (optional)
- 8 oz Andouille Sausage
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 cup Chopped Onion
- 1½ cup Chopped Red Bell Pepper
- or 1½ cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Chopped Celery
- ½ cup Chopped Parsley
- ½ lb Crab Meat
- ½ lb Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
- Combine ingredients for seasoning mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a Dutch oven. Add chicken. SautÃ© until browned on both sides. Remove chicken from pan to a large saucepan, reserving drippings in Dutch oven. Add 8 cups water to cover chicken and simmer 1 hour. Drain, reserving stock. Bone chicken, reserving meat.
- Add sausage to reserved drippings, and sautÃ© until browned. Remove sausage, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Add enough oil to drippings to equal about 1/2 cup. Heat and add flour 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until smooth. Cook roux, stirring constantly, until browned and a deep caramel color, 5 to 6 minutes. Add onion, pepper, celery, parsley and 2 tablespoons seasoning mix. (Youâll have about a half cup of seasoning mix left over.) Whisk well and cook 10 minutes.
- Add reserved stock, whisking well and cook 20 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken, sausage and seafood and cook 10 minutes.