Zuchinni with Cheese and Mushroom Stuffing
- Yield 6 servings
"This recipe is a delicious alternative to the breads and cakes I usually prepare with zucchini. It's filling enough to make a meal."
- 3 medium-size zucchini
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup provolone or Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut off ends of zucchini and cut them in half, length-wise. Cook zucchini in 1-inch deep salted boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes, until crisp, yet tender. Drain. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4 inch shell. Chop enough pulp to make about 3/4 cup.
- Saute onion in butter. Combine with remaining ingredients, including pulp. Spoon evenly into zucchini shells.
- Place shells into greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake uncovered 25 minutes.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This dish is especially delicious when served with garlic bread.
Recipe by Toni Monton, Custer, Mich.