Zucchini Walnut Muffins
- Yield 18 pieces
Combine one of summer's best gifts with walnuts in these muffins, zucchini.
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 1/4 cups shredded zucchini (about 2 medium squash)
- 2 teaspoons coarse granulated natural cane sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 12-cup and 6-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon, and brown sugar together in a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and walnuts, and stir to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and the canola oil. Pour over the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well mixed with the dry ingredients (it will look more like a loose dough than a batter). Fold in the zucchini.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and sprinkle the tops with the coarse sugar. Bake one tray at a time until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted comes out clean, 18 to 22 minutes. Let the muffins rest in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove from the try and transfer to a wire rack to cool (this helps avoid soggy muffin bottoms).
Reprinted with permission from Jennifer Perillo’s Homemade with Love (Running Press, 2013).