- Yield 10 to 12 cups
A terrific use for your garden fresh zucchini.
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 10 cups finely chopped zucchini
- 4 medium onions, chopped
- 2 3/4 cups vinegar
- 2 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 -- red pepper, chopped
- 1 -- green pepper, chopped
- Sprinkle salt over squash and onions. Let stand overnight.
- The next day, thoroughly rinse squash and onions with cold water. Drain well.
- Bring squash, onions, vinegar, sugar, nutmeg, mustard, celery seed, pepper, turmeric, and peppers to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Fill clean, hot jars to within 1/2 inch from the top of the jar. Put lids on, twist on top.
- Cover jars with 1 inch of water. Bring water to a boil. Boil 5 minutes.
- Remove jars and set upright to cool on a wire rack. Check jars to be sure they have sealed before storing in cool, dry place.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Rochester’s Applehood & Motherpie (The Junior League of Rochester, Inc., 1981).