Zucchini Meat Sauce
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2cup fat-free chicken or vegetable stock
- 3/4cup chopped onion
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 2cups cubed zucchini
- 1/2pound very lean ground beef
- 2cups tomato sauce
- 1tablespoon fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2cup chopped fresh mint, or 1/4 cup dried mint
- 1/4teaspoon dried chili pepper
- -- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat stock in saucepan; add onions and garlic and cook until tender. Add zucchini; cover and simmer until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Brown meat in skillet and drain off all fat. Add meat, tomato sauce and seasonings to zucchini mixture; simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Serve over rice or pasta.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington’s Bluegrass Winners (the Garden Club of Lexington, Kentucky, 1985).