Zucchini Meat Sauce
- Yield 4 servings
A salt-free, low-calorie sauce.
- 1/2 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable stock
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 -- garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cubed zucchini
- 1/2 pound very lean ground beef
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, or 1/4 cup dried mint
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili pepper
- -- Freshly ground pepper
- Heat stock in saucepan; add onions and garlic and cook until tender. Add zucchini; cover and simmer until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Brown meat in skillet and drain off all fat. Add meat, tomato sauce and seasonings to zucchini mixture; simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Serve over rice or pasta.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Garden Club of Lexington’s Bluegrass Winners (the Garden Club of Lexington, Kentucky, 1985).