Zucchini, Leek, and Chevre Tart in Wild Rice Crust
- Wild Rice Crust
- 1 egg
- 1/3cup grated parmesan cheese (preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2cups cooked wild rice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Custard Filling
- 2cups zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1/4pound unsalted butter
- 2cups thinly sliced leek, include some stalk
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2cups whipping cream
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1cup crumbled chevre cheese (goat's milk)
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram, or freshly ground black pepper
- Allow time to cook and cool the rice. Preheat an oven to 350F.
- To make the crust, beat the egg, cheese, lemon juice, and melted butter together in a bowl. Stir in the cooked rice, season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to a 9-inch pie pan, and press with your fingertips to cover bottom and sides evenly . Bake until set and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. (Or cover and refrigerate as long as overnight; return to room temperature before filling.)
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the squash in a colander set over a bowl or in a sink. Generously sprinkle with salt, mix with your fingertips to distribute the salt, and let stand for 30 minutes. Gather squash in your hand and gently squeeze to release any additional surface moisture. Reserve.
- Heat the butter in a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat, add the leek, and saute until soft, about 5 minutes Add the drained squash and saute about 5 minutes longer; reserve.
- In a bowl, combine the eggs, cream, mustard, cheese, marjoram, and salt and pepper to taste and whisk to blend well. Stir in the leek and squash mixture, pour into the rice shell, and bake in the 350F oven until filling is set and the top is golden, about 30 to 35 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.