Zucchini, Eggplant, and Tomatoes Casserole
- Yield 10 servings
This vegetable casserole perfect to take along to a pot-luck gathering.
- 1 1/2 pounds eggplant, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 pound zucchini
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large clove garlic, diced
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salad herbs
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup croutons
- Peel eggplant if you wish. (Tender young eggplants do not need peeling.) Scrub zucchini; dice both vegetables. Mix the oil and butter; pour half the mixture into a large skillet; add garlic, and saute for 1 minute. Add the eggplant and zucchini, about 1/3 at a time and sautee quickly. Add remaining oil if needed. Do not brown, but cook until partially softened. Have a shallow casserole ready. Pour half the tomato puree in the bottom of casserole and season with salt, pepper, and salad herbs. Add vegetables and top with tomato puree; sprinkle croutons over all. Bake in 350F oven for 40 minutes, uncovered; serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Little Rock’s Little Rock Cooks (Little Rock, Arkansas 1972).