- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1medium zucchini, sliced thinly (skin on)
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/2teaspoon cayenne, divided
- 1/2cup nonfat milk
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1-- (10-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2cup corn flake cereal, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9-inch square casserole with vegetable oil spray.
- Melt butter in large skillet; add onion, garlic, zucchini, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste over medium heat. Cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes, or until onions are soft. Zucchini may still be crunchy.
- Combine milk and flour; stir until smooth. Pour into skillet and increase heat; stir until mixture thickens.
- Pour zucchini mixture into casserole; stir in corn.
- Combine red bell pepper and crushed cereal; add cayenne to taste. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until casserole bubbles.
Note: Increase pan size to 13-by-9-inch casserole. Stir in 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed) into cooked zucchini mixture. Follow remainder of instructions.
Recipe by Kristine Napier, MPH, RD, Wisconsin. Reprinted with permission from the American Dietetic Association's Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 180
- Fat 3.5g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Sodium 320mg
- Carbohydrate 33g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 6g