- Yield 4 servings
Zucchini, red bell pepper and corn combine in this Caribbean-inspired casserole.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly (skin on)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, divided
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 -- (10-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn flake cereal, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9-inch square casserole with vegetable oil spray.
- Melt butter in large skillet; add onion, garlic, zucchini, salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste over medium heat. Cook and stir 5 to 8 minutes, or until onions are soft. Zucchini may still be crunchy.
- Combine milk and flour; stir until smooth. Pour into skillet and increase heat; stir until mixture thickens.
- Pour zucchini mixture into casserole; stir in corn.
- Combine red bell pepper and crushed cereal; add cayenne to taste. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until casserole bubbles.
Note: Increase pan size to 13-by-9-inch casserole. Stir in 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (drained and rinsed) into cooked zucchini mixture. Follow remainder of instructions.
Recipe by Kristine Napier, MPH, RD, Wisconsin. Reprinted with permission from the American Dietetic Association's Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).