- Yield: 4 servings
These cakes are lighter and more tender when made with fresh breadcrumbs. Place a day-old baguette in a food processor and pulse until fine crumbs are formed. For a quick sauce, mix some chopped fresh herbs (such as chives and dill) and lemon juice into mayonnaise.
- 3cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1cup fresh breadcrumbs (from a baguette)
- 1 egg
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon mayonnaise or plain yogurt
- 1/8teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- 1teaspoon butter
- Place grated zucchini in a colander; sprinkle lightly with salt and let stand 30 minutes. Press with paper towels to remove as much liquid as possible. Zucchini should be fairly dry, and you should have about 2 cups. Place zucchini and remaining ingredients (except oil and butter) in a bowl. Mix well. Form into 8 patties the size of crab cakes. Chill.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet.
- Add patties to skillet and cook on both sides until browned. Drain on paper towels.
Recipe by Nancy Vienneau.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 140
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 60mg
- Sodium 480mg
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 4g