Zucchini, Basil, and Goat Cheese Carbonara
- Yield: 2 servings
- 4 1/2ounces penne or rigatoni pasta
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1clove garlic
- 1/2medium onion, finely sliced
- 1 zucchini, very finely sliced
- 12large basil leaves, half left whole, half shredded
- 2 1/2ounces goat cheese (weight without rind)
- 1/4teaspoon lemon zest
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 egg yolk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil. Season with salt and add the pasta, cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, put the oil and garlic in a wide nonstick pan and heat gently. Once the garlic has been gently sizzling for 1 minute, add the onion, zucchini, whole basil leaves, and a little salt, stir well to mix, cover, and cook very gently for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the zucchini are soft (depends on their thickness).
- Set aside 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cooking water. Drain the pasta, add to the zucchini with the reserved water, and mix well. Turn off the heat, add the goat cheese, basil, lemon zest and juice, and then the yolk. Stir immediately so the yolk coats everything (it will cook in the residual heat) and season.
–This recipe was first printed in the cookbook Anjum’s Eat Right For Your Body Type: The Super-Healthy Detox Diet Inspired by Ayurveda by Anjum Anand, and is reprinted with permission from the publisher.