- Yield 8 servings
A great side dish for when your zucchini harvest starts coming in.
Our neighbors gave us some zucchini, and I decided instead of frying it, I would try some other ideas of my own.
- 4 small zucchini, diced (about 3 cups total)
- 2 cups (about 5 1/2 ounces) club cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan or 9-inch-square baking dish.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add zucchini; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- Press cracker crumbs on bottom of prepared pan to form a crust. Dot with butter. Spoon zucchini on top.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl until fluffy. Stir in onion, milk, 2/3 cup Cheddar cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over zucchini and sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup Cheddar and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes, or until golden on edges.
– Carolyn Ruff, Shelbyville, Ill.