Zucchini Bake with Swiss Cheese
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 1-- garlic clove, minced
- 3 or 4-- zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 3/4cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon pepper
- 1teaspoon dried basil
- 8ounces Swiss cheese, cut into small chunks
- 1/4cup Italian bread crumbs
- 4ounces Swiss cheese, shredded
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan. Add the onion, garlic and zucchini. Saute until the onion is translucent, stirring frequenlty. The zucchini should stay firm. Combine the zucchini mixture, tomatoes, 3/4 cup bread crumbs, the salt, pepper, basil and cheese chunks and mix lightly. Spoon into a 2-quart baking dish sparyed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup bread crumbs and the shredded cheese. Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through. Using a mixture of zucchini and yellow squash adds color and flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Galveston County’s Beachside to Boardwalk (Junior League of Galveston County, Inc., 2010).