Zesty Spinach Casserole
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This recipe for spinach casserole has been in my "among favorites" box for more than 40 years. I first used it to get our then small children to eat spinach. But over the years, it became a requested side dish at family gatherings, and now our grandchildren are requesting it when they are at our house for a meal.
- 3 (10-ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thawed
- 8ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1stick margarine or butter
- 4tablespoons sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1tablespoon minced onion
- 1/4 to 1/2teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1cup seasoned stuffing mix
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square or 2-quart baking dish. Place spinach in a colander to drain; squeeze out liquid. In a large bowl, stir together cream cheese, butter and sour cream. Add spinach. Season with salt and pepper, lemon rind, onion and horseradish. Spoon into dish. Cover with stuffing mix and bake about 20 minutes or until edges begin to bubble. Serves 6 to 8.
Recipe by Patty Newton, Prescott, Ariz.