Sweet & Sour Chicken Drumsticks
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/3cup lemon olive oil
- 1cup fresh orange juice
- 3tablespoons soy sauce (can substitute reduced sodium)
- 3tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2tablespoons grated fresh orange zest
- 2tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 2tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2tablespoons Sriracha sauce
- 1teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 12-- bone in chicken thighs, with skin, pierced several times with a small knife
- Pineapple Mint Salsa:
- 6cups diced fresh pineapple (1/2 inch dice)
- 1 1/2cups diced red bell pepper (1/4 inch dice)
- 2/3cup coconut milk
- 1/2cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2cup fresh mint leaves, cut chiffonade (stacked, rolled and very thinly sliced)
- 2teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 3cups cooked white or brown basmati rice
- 3cups cooked black beans
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large glass dish, whisk together oil, juice, soy sauce, vinegar, zest, ginger, garlic, Sriracha, and pepper. Add chicken thighs, turn to coat and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- To make the Pineapple-Mint Salsa, in a medium bowl, mix together pineapple, bell pepper, coconut milk, lime juice and mint. Set aside.
- To cook chicken, remove from marinade and place thighs on a rack in a large roasting pan, skin side up, and sprinkle chicken with salt. Roast for 40 – 45 minutes or until skin is brown and crisp, and juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
- To serve, place equal portions of rice and beans on each of six plates. Add two roasted chicken thighs and top with equal portions of pineapple salsa. Serve immediately.