Zesty Lemon Cranberry Muffin Tops
- Yield 28 pieces
These tasty treats are the best of both worlds when it comes to cookies and muffins.
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 1/4 cups organic sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Warm the coconut milk in the microwave then stir in the flaxseed, set it to the side for a couple of minutes to let it gel a bit.
- In a large bowl, stir together the rest of the wet ingredients and sugar until well mixed. Add in the coconut milk/flaxseed mixture and stir again.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flours, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt together. Add the dry mix into the wet mix one cup at a time, until combined fully.
- Once the dough is formed, fold in the cranberries and walnuts. You will need two cookie sheets for baking, I poured roughly 1/2 teaspoon of oil onto each one and spread it so that the cookies didn’t stick. You could also use parchment paper or a silicone sheet.
- Form relatively round, 2-tablespoon cookie shapes 2-inches apart on the baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes; when the timer has gone off, take the sheets out of the oven and let the cookies rest on them for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the baking sheets and place them on cooling racks until they’re cool enough to eat.
Jackie Sobon of the food blog Vegan Yack Attack, is passionate about creating innovative and tasty recipes that cater to the taste buds of everyone, vegan or not. On top of running her food blog, she also contributes to the Examiner, One Green Planet and the Vegan Voice. In her free time, you can find her dreaming up recipes while hiking, doing yoga, or cycling; talk about preemptive action!