Chicken and Yam Pizza
- Yield: servings
- 1-- sweet potato (about 6 ounces), peeled and thinly sliced
- 4tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2pound boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, diced
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon ancho chili powder
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- -- Cornmeal, for dusting
- 10ounces refrigerated (or fresh) pizza dough
- 4ounces smoked mozzarella cheese, shredded
- -- (or other smoked melting cheese such as smoked gouda)
- 2ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1-- serrano pepper (stems, veins, and seeds removed), finely chopped
- 2cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2-- green onions, chopped
- 2tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
Place pizza stone on bottom shelf of oven. Preheat oven to 550F (or to 500F).
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add sweet potato slices and cook for 3 minutes or until tender; drain. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add sweet potatoes and cook, flipping occassionally, until they become slightly browned (about 3-5 minutes). Set aside.
Season chicken with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken and cook until just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
Lightly sprinkle pizza peel or large cutting board with cornmeal. Stretch pizza dough into a 12" round (will be very thin).
Spread 2 tablespoons oil on top of pizza. Top with smoked mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Lay sweet potato slices and tomato slices around pizza. Top with diced chicken. Sprinkle pizza with serrano pepper, garlic, and green onion.
Shake peel or cutting board to ensure the pizza will be able to slide off (if it seems stuck, pick up the pizza in various places and sprinkle more cornmeal underneath until it becomes loose). Sprinkle pizza stone with cornmeal; slide pizza onto pizza stone. Bake until crust is crispy and golden brown (approximately 7-10 minutes). Remove pizza from oven.
Sprinkle with cilantro. Using a pizza cutter, slice into 8 pieces.
(If a pizza stone is unavailable, then use this alternate method of preparation: preheat oven to 450F, spray large baking sheet with cooking spray, sprinkle baking sheet with cornmeal, stretch dough into about an 11" round on baking sheet, parbake the crust for 5 minutes, let cool for 5-10 minutes, remove crust from baking sheet, add toppings, place pizza back in the oven directly on the center rack, and bake for 7 minutes or until crust is golden brown).
Makes 4 appetizer servings.
– – – – – – – – -