Yuca Stew with Black Beans, Cilantro and Lime
- Yield 4 servings
This vegetarian stew starring yuca, black beans and fresh vegetables, is sure to please any hearty appetite.
- 1 (12-ounce) package frozen yuca
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 small avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Place yuca in a 2-quart saucepan with salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 12 to 15 minutes until tender. Drain and let cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonreactive skillet or saute pan over medium heat, Add garlic, onions, jalapenos and saute 5 minutes until tender. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, beans and yuca. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add lime juice, cilantro and salt. Serve in large bowls garnished with pumpkin seeds and diced avocado.