Yellow Tomato Bisque
- Yield 4 servings
This creamy soup stars yellow tomatoes and basil—two of summer's most versatile ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced white onion
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 cups sliced yellow grape or heirloom tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup 2 percent reduced -fat milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped basil leaves, divided
- Heat olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and enough water for cover (about 1 cup). Cook uncovered until boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Puree tomato mixture in a blender until smooth. (You’ll need to work in batches.) Strain through a sieve and return to pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Add milk, yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon basil and stir to combine. Cook 10 minutes—do not boil. Add salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining basil.
Recipe by Rebecka Evans, athomewithrebecka.com