Yellow Layer Cake
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
A good basic cake with a delicious home-made chocolate icing.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 -- eggs
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Chocolate Icing:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon evaporated milk
- 1 -- (6-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -- (16-ounce) box confectioners' sugar
- For the cake. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and eggs at high speed for 5 minutes. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Reduce speed to low and alternately add flour mixture, then milk, to butter and sugar mixture. Add vanilla. Pour into prepared cake pans. Bake at 350F for 30 to 40 minutes. Perfect with Chocolate Icing.
- For the icing. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in milk and continue stirring until mixture is boiling rapidly. Remove pan from heat and add chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Add vanilla. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. If icing becomes too stiff, add few drops of hot water.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Cobb-Marietta’s Georgia On My Menu (the Junior League of Cobb-Marietta, Marietta, Ga., 1988).