Yam Pecan Pie in Ginger Snap Crust
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
When you can’t decide between pecan or sweet potato pie, have them both!
- 1 1/4 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed or 1 cup fresh cooked Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes)
- 2 eggs, divided
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 egg whites
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Mix gingersnap crumbs, butter and vanilla and mold along the bottom of the pie plate. Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- Combine yams, 1 egg, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon across pie crust.
- Beat remaining egg, egg whites, corn syrup, sugar and vanilla until mixture is smooth. Add pecans.
- Layer this mixture over yam mixture. Bake pie 50-60 minutes, or until center is set and begins to pull away from edges.