Yam Pecan Pie in Ginger Snap Crust
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
When you can’t decide between pecan or sweet potato pie, have them both!
- 1 1/4 cups gingersnap cookie crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes (yams), drained and mashed or 1 cup fresh cooked Louisiana yams (sweet potatoes)
- 2 -- eggs, divided
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 -- egg whites
- 2/3 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Combine gingersnap crumbs, butter and vanilla in pie plate, pressing up sides. Bake 10 minutes. Removefrom oven.
- In mixing bowl, blend together yams, 1 egg, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread evenly on bottom of pie crust.
- In mixing bowl, beat together remaining egg, egg whites, corn syrup, sugar and vanilla until mixture is creamy. Stir in pecans.
- Carefully spoon over yam layer. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until filling is set around edges or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean. Let cool.
Note: Place gingersnaps in a food processor or blender to process into fine crumbs.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.