Japanese Beef and Green Onion Skewers (Yakitori)
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3tablespoons soy sauce
- 3tablespoons mirin
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 2teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2pounds boneless sirloin or beef tenderloin, trimmed, and cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2bunches green onions, white and light green parts only, trimmed in 1-inch lengths
- 1/8teaspoon coarse salt
- 2teaspoons peanut oil, plus additional for grill
- 8 (10-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water at least 30 minutes
- Bring soy sauce, mirin, sugar and vinegar to a boil in a small, heavy saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until slightly syrupy.
- Toss beef cubes with 1 teaspoon oil in a small bowl. Toss green onions with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and salt in a second bowl. Thread beef and onions onto skewers, using 3 onion sections between each piece of beef.
- Prepare a grill or heat a grill pan to medium-high. Lightly oil. Grill skewers 1 minute, turn, and grill 1 minute on second side. Brush with glaze, grill 1 minute more, turning, and brushing skewers with additional glaze. Transfer to a serving platter, and brush lightly with glaze again.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 326
- Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 71mg
- Sodium 1037mg
- Carbohydrate 20g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 40g