Chicken Yakitori with Ginger Rice
- Yield: servings
- Ginger Garlic Rice (recipe follows)
- 2tablespoons yellow or red miso paste
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 3tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3tablespoons mirin
- 3tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4large thick scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1large seedless cucumber, unpeeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1large Portobello mushroom, gills removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
Prepare Ginger Garlic Rice as directed below. While rice is microwaving, place miso, sugar, rice vinegar, mirin, and soy sauce in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring well, just until the sauce is smooth and sugar has completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Thread chicken, scallions, cucumber and mushrooms alternately onto 12 skewers.* Broil about 6 inches from heat, basting frequently with the miso sauce until nicely browned and cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes; turning once. Top Ginger Garlic Rice with skewers of chicken. Serves 6.
Ginger Garlic Rice
1 cup Jasmine rice
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon bottled mashed ginger
1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
In 2 quart microwave safe dish, combine rice with chicken broth and lemon juice. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Reduce setting to 50% power; microwave for 13 minutes. Gently stir in remaining ingredients. Let stand covered for 5 minutes. Spoon onto serving platter.
* If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes to prevent scorching.