- 1medium head green cabbage, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1large yellow onion, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1large carrot, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/4cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/8teaspoon crushed dried red chili flakes
- Good quality aged balsamic vinegar, for serving, optional
- Heat oven to 325F. Lightly oil a large gratin dish or 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Trim cabbage. Peel off and discard outer leaves. Cut cabbage into 8 wedges. Arrange wedges in baking pan; they can overlap some but try to make a single layer.
- Scatter onions and carrots over all. Drizzle with broth or water and oil. Season with salt, pepper and pepper flakes. Cover tightly with foil and slide into middle of oven to braise 2 hours until vegetables are completely tender. Turn cabbage wedges with tongs after about an hour. If dish seems to be drying out, add a few tablespoons water.
- Once cabbage is completely tender, remove foil, increase oven temperature to 400F and roast 15 minutes until vegetables begin to brown. Serve warm or at room temperature sprinkled with coarse salt. Add a splash of balsamic vinegar to enhance sweetness.
Recipe adapted from All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking (W.W. Norton, 2004) by Molly Stevens.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 136
- Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 1mg
- Sodium 36mg
- Carbohydrate 12g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 3g