Cuban Chicken Rice Bowl
- Yield: servings
- 3tablespoons olive oil
- 3tablespoons butter
- 2cups chopped sweet onion (walla walla or vidalia)
- 5cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 1/2 to 2pounds chicken breast (cubed)
- 1cup canned mandarin oranges (drained)
- 1teaspoon ground ginger
- 1teaspoon cumin
- 1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4cup fresh cilantro
- 1/4cup brown sugar
- 1/2cup slivered almonds
- 1/2cup golden raisins
- 1package white or jasmin rice
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large non-stick skillet. Saute onion until translucent, add garlic and chicken. Continue to saute, stirring constantly until chicken is lightly browned. Add brown sugar, mandarin oranges, ginger, cumin, red pepper flakes and golden raisins. Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking prepare the following:
- Prepare rice as specified on the pkg.
- Set aside to rest. In another pan toast slivered almonds in a pat or butter until golden brown and set aside to cool on a paper towl.
- When everything is ready to serve, place a serving of rice in a deep bowl, top with chicken and sprinkle with toasted slivered almonds and cilantro.