Wisconsin Queso Blanco With Roasted Tomato Sauce
- Yield 8 servings
This creamy cheese dip featuring a roasted tomato sauce is served over warm tortilla chips for the perfect game day snack
- Roasted Tomato Sauce:
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1 jalapeno chile
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12-ounce) square or package Wisconsin Queso Blanco, cut horizontally in three pieces (4 ounces each)
- Fresh hot tortillas or tortilla chips
- For sauce, place tomatoes in bowl of a food processor or beaker of blender. Heat heavy skillet, such as cast iron,until very hot. Place garlic cloves and jalapeño in skillet. Grill until “roasted” and skin turns black in places, turning as necessary.
- Peel garlic and chop roughly. Add to tomatoes. Cut jalapeño in half. Stem and seed. Roughly chop half the jalapeño. Add to tomatoes. Blend, leaving a rough texture. Taste for salt, adding some if necessary. Add more chopped reserved jalapeño if a hotter flavor is preferred. Stir in oregano.
- Heat olive oil in medium skillet until hot. Add sauce (it will splatter). Stir and cook at low boil for about 5 minutes until it thickens and reduces slightly. Keep warm.
- For cheese, heat large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Lightly grill cheese slices until golden brown on all sides, a total of 5 to 6 minutes. Remove to serving plates and spoonwarm sauce over each slice. Serve with fresh hot tortillas or crisp tortilla chips.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board