- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8cup sugar
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 6tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- 4ounces Wisconsin Queso Blanco* Cheese, crumbled
- 3/4cup buttermilk
- 1/3cup whole milk, plus additional for brushing biscuits
- 2tablespoons jalapeno chiles, minced
- Coarse kosher or sea salt
- Mango or peach preserves, optional
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add butter. Blend in with pastry blender or by hand, using your fingertips. Blend in cheese with pastry blender or by hand. Mix in buttermilk, milk and jalapeño chiles just until blended. Add a little more milk if mixture is too dry. DO NOT OVERMIX.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured surface. Roll 1-inch thick. Fold each end to center of dough and then fold dough in half. Repeat rolling and folding 2 more times. Cut 1-inch thick dough into 3 1/2-inch circles with biscuit cutter or a glass. Place on baking sheet. Brush tops of biscuits with milk and sprinkle a bit of coarse salt over. Bake 16 to 18 minutes. Serve warm with butter and mango preserves, if desired.
*You may substitute Wisconsin Queso Fresco Cheese.