Wisconsin Gorgonzola Bacon Polenta Bites
- Yield 24 pieces
Polenta slices are topped with a tasty onion mixture, bacon and cheese and served as a delicious appetizer.
- 24 (1/2-inch slices polenta from a prepared roll
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 8 slices bacon, cut into 2-inch long strips and cooked
- 6 ounces Wisconsin Creamy Gorgonzola cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Arrange polenta slices on a baking sheet, and bake 5 to 7 minutes per side, until hot. In a large skillet, heat butter over low heat. Add onion and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add walnuts, cherries, brown sugar, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook 8 to 10 minutes more, until onions are caramelized. Top each polenta bite with a bacon slice, 1 tablespoon onion mixture and a slice of Wisconsin Gorgonzola cheese. Serve immediately.