Wisconsin Gorgonzola Bacon Polenta Bites
- Yield: 24 pieces
- 24 (1/2-inch slices polenta from a prepared roll
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2cups sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1teaspoon brown sugar
- 1tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1/4teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 8slices bacon, cut into 2-inch long strips and cooked
- 6ounces Wisconsin Creamy Gorgonzola cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Arrange polenta slices on a baking sheet, and bake 5 to 7 minutes per side, until hot. In a large skillet, heat butter over low heat. Add onion and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add walnuts, cherries, brown sugar, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook 8 to 10 minutes more, until onions are caramelized. Top each polenta bite with a bacon slice, 1 tablespoon onion mixture and a slice of Wisconsin Gorgonzola cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board