Wisconsin Cheese Straws
- Yield 64 pieces
These crispy cheese straws are perfect served with your favorite dip.
- 4 cups (about 1 pound) Aged Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoon water, if needed
- Heat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, combine the cheese and the butter; process well. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse untildough forms. Add water, if necessary. Cover the dough and chill in the refrigerator for one hour.
- On a clean countertop or cutting board, use your fingers to gently roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a rope. When it is 8 to 10 inches long, cut it in half and continue rolling each rope until it is 6 to 8 inches long. Twist both ropes together, and place on a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until set and starting to brown. Cool on a wire rack; serve with your choice of a dip.