Wisconsin Cheddar Rarebit
- Yield 6 servings
Cheddar Rarebit is great served over toasted bread.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups (12-ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 -- egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup scotch ale
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over very low heat, add the cheese slowly, stirring in one direction. Add the mustard and the next two ingredients; continue stirring until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks and beer together; whisk into the cheese mixture in small amounts. Reduce the heat and continue stirring until the sauce thickens.