Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
- Yield 10 servings
These biscuits featuring sharp Cheddar cheese will be a hit at your dinner table.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (2-ounces) shredded Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg and milk; add all at once to the dry mixture. Add cheese. Stir just until dough slings together. Knead gently on lightly floured surface for 10 to 12 strokes. Roll or pat dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter; dip cutter in flour between cuts. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush tops with melted butter; sprinkle with poppy seed. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board