Wisconsin Asiago and Sage Potatoes
- Yield 12 servings
Lots of savory seasonings unite in this cheesy potato dish.
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced julienne
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 -- (18-ounce) box panko breadcrumbs
- 2 cups Wisconsin Asiago Cheese, shreded
- 10 large fresh sage leaves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 quart (4 cups) half-and half
- 2 -- garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Sauté onions in medium skillet over medium high heat with butter and sugar until deep caramel color. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Asiago, sage, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss until oil evenly coats breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Combine half-and-half, garlic, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- Spray 13 x 9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of potatoes over bottom of dish. Top with onions and half of the bread crumb mixture. Top evenly with remaining potatoes. Pour cream mixture over potatoes. Top evenly with remaining breadcrumb mixture. Cover with foil; Bake 60 to 75 minutes, until tender. Remove foil; bake an additional 15 minutes to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.