Wisconsin Asiago and Sage Potatoes
- Yield: 12 servings
- 1medium Vidalia onion, sliced julienne
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2teaspoons sugar
- 1 (18-ounce) box panko breadcrumbs
- 2cups Wisconsin Asiago Cheese, shreded
- 10large fresh sage leaves, finely minced
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1quart (4 cups) half-and half
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3pounds russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Sauté onions in medium skillet over medium high heat with butter and sugar until deep caramel color. Remove from heat; set aside.
- In large bowl, combine breadcrumbs, Asiago, sage, salt, pepper and olive oil. Toss until oil evenly coats breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- Combine half-and-half, garlic, salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- Spray 13 x 9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of potatoes over bottom of dish. Top with onions and half of the bread crumb mixture. Top evenly with remaining potatoes. Pour cream mixture over potatoes. Top evenly with remaining breadcrumb mixture. Cover with foil; Bake 60 to 75 minutes, until tender. Remove foil; bake an additional 15 minutes to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.