Winter Wild Rice with Dried Cherries
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2tablespoons butter or margaine
- 1/2cup shallot, chopped
- 2 2/3cups chicken stock
- 1/2pound wild rice
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2cup hazlenuts
- 3/4cup dried cherries
- 2tablespoons fresh pasley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute shallot until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Add rice and thyme, reduce heat to low, cover and cook 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast hazelnuts on a baking sheet for 8 minutes. While still warm, place nuts in a towel and rub together to remove as much of the dark brown husk as possible. Chop nuts coasely.
- Add nuts and cherries to rice, cover and continue cooking 15 minutes or until rice is tender and all stock has been obsorbed. Rice should be glossy and moist. Spinkle with parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Seattle’s Simply Classic (The Junior League of Seattle, Washington Inc., 2002).