Winter Vegetable Beef Soup
- Yield: 10 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 265 mins
The meat and onions are simmered very gently in a tightly covered pan to extract all its juices before the other liquids and vegetables are added to the pot. This concentrates the meat flavor and adds a rich color to the broth without having to take the trouble to brown the meat first.
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3pounds meaty beef shanks or bone-in chuck roast
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2ounces thick-sliced lean salt pork (about 5 slices) (optional)
- 1large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2sprigs each fresh parsley, thyme, and marjoram or oregano, chopped
- 10cups water
- 2cups canned tomato puree
- 3large ribs celery, peeled and diced
- 4large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3medium turnips, peeled and diced
- 3medium parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2small green cabbage, cored and thinly sliced into 1-inch-long strips (about 3 cups)
- Melt butter in a large, heavy soup pot over medium-low heat. Add beef, season with salt and pepper, and lay pork (if using) over top. Scatter onion evenly over top, add bay leaves and chopped herbs, and cover tightly. Reduce the heat to low; simmer about 2 hours.
- Add water and tomato purée, increase heat to medium, and return to a simmer, skimming off any scum that rises. Add celery, carrots, turnips, parsnips and cabbage, return to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer about 2 hours or until meat and vegetables are very tender.
- Remove and discard salt pork. Remove meat and cool slightly. Cut into bite-size pieces, cover and refrigerate until just before finishing the soup. Either skim off excess fat from top or let the soup cool, chill until the fat hardens (about 4 hours or overnight), lift off layer of fat, and discard.
- When ready to serve, return meat to the pot, and cook about 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat until heated through.
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Glycemic Load 16.47
- Calories 370
- Fat 13g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 65mg
- Sodium 1020mg
- Potassium 1430mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 34g
- Trans Fat 0
- Vitamin A 90%
- Vitamin C 50%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 30%