Winter Stew Delight
- Yield 10-12 servings
Fresh carrots, tomatoes, onions, and potatoes are stewed together with sausage
"This is a very good stew, and is easy to make. It has been in my family for a long time, and had been enjoyed by many."
- 1 small head cabbage, chopped
- 4 medium onions, diced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 pounds Italian sausage, fried and drained
- 4 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can beans (kidney, black, or pinto)
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large, oven-proof stew pot. Cover and bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours until tender, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add more broth or tomato juice.
- Serve with homemade bread or biscuits. Drizzle with vinegar if desired.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Season with chopped basil, sage, or chives. This recipe yields several gallons of delicious stew, which freezes beautifully.
—Lee Sauers, Mifflinburg, Pa.