Winter Fruit Glazed Turkey
- Yield 15 servings
Traditional oven-roasted turkey with a festive red currant and orange marmalade glaze.
- Turkey Prep:
- 1 -- (12-pound) whole turkey, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 -- large orange, cut in eight wedges, seeds removed
- Winter Fruit Glaze:
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds, ground coarse by mortar/pestle or a coffee grinder
- To prepare turkey: Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for gravy. Rinse turkey with cold running water and drain well. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper in the cavities of the bird. Place orange wedges in both body and neck cavities.
- Fold neck skin and fasten to the back with skewers. Fold the wings under the back of the turkey. Return legs to tucked position.
- To prepare glaze: In 1-cup microwave-safe glass container combine jelly, marmalade and anise seeds. Cook in microwave at HIGH (100 percent power) 30 to 45 seconds or until melted. Set aside.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a large shallow (no
- more than 2-1/2" deep) roasting pan. Insert an oven-safe thermometer into thickest part of the thigh, being careful it does not touch the bone.
- Roast turkey in a preheated 325F oven about 3 1/2 hours (total roasting time) basting with pan juices. During the last 20 minutes of roasting time, baste the bird with Winter Fruit Glaze. Continue to roast until the thermometer registers 175-180F in the thigh and 165-170F in the breast.
- Remove turkey from the oven and allow the bird to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving. Place on a warm large platter and garnish.