Winter-Busting White Chili
- Yield 8 servings
"We took a great chili recipe and elaborated on it to suit our tastes. It is awesome when topped with freshly grated Parmesan."
- 1 pound dried navy or Great Northern beans, rinsed
- 3/4 pound mild lean Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken or turkey
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add beans and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Drain.
- Return Dutch oven to medium heat; add sausage and cook until browned, breaking up large pieces while cooking. Transfer sausage to a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Add 4 cups water to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Add beans, onions, celery, bouillon, garlic, cumin, oregano and hot pepper sauce. Return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until beans are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Add sausage, chicken and green chilies to pan. Cook 3 minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle Parmesan on top of each serving.
Recipe by Mike and Melinda Rhodes, Capron, Ill.