Wilted Spinach Sesame Salad
- Yield 8 servings
Spinach is wilted with a hot vinaigrette of Dijon mustard, rice vinegar and honey.
Sesame oil brings its smoky flavor to the dressing as crisp red onion and toasted almonds lend their quintessential crunch to round out this satisfying salad.
- 1/2 -- red onion, outer peel removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups spinach, stems removed
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced and toasted
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 8 -- hard-boiled eggs, thinly sliced (optional)
- Cut the onion into paper-thin slices about 2 inches long. Place the onion slices in a bowl of ice water and let them soak while preparing the rest of the dish.
- Place the canola oil and the sesame oil in a small saucepan over high heat. Mix the mustard, vinegar, honey and salt together and add the vinegar mixture to the pan. Whisk to combine and bring the sesame vinaigrette to a boil.
- Roughly chop the spinach into bite sized pieces. Place in a large serving bowl and pour the hot sesame vinaigrette over the spinach. Immediately toss the spinach to ensure all leaves are coated and slightly wilted.
- Serve equal portions of the wilted spinach onto each plate. Drain the onions and place them on top of the spinach. Sprinkle each plate with the almonds, sesame seeds and egg slices if using.
Recipe by Donna of Fab Frugal Food.