Wilder Than Wild Rice
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3/4cup chopped onion
- 1/2-- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2-- red bell pepper, chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2cups white rice
- 1/2cup wild rice
- 1-- (16-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 1/2cups water
- Saute onion, green pepper, red pepper and garlic in olive oil in saucepan until vegetables are tender. Stir in white rice and wild rice. Saute for 1 minute. Add black beans and water; mix well. Cook over low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into baking pan. Grill over hot coals for 5 minutes to add smoky flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Kansas City Barbeque Society’s Barbecue…It’s Not Just for Breakfast Anymore (the Kansas City Barbecue Society, Kansas City, Missouri, 1996).