Wilder Than Wild Rice
- Yield 6 servings
This deliciously smoked wild rice makes the perfect side dish for pork or beef.
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 -- green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 -- red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white rice
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Saute onion, green pepper, red pepper and garlic in olive oil in saucepan until vegetables are tender. Stir in white rice and wild rice. Saute for 1 minute. Add black beans and water; mix well. Cook over low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon into baking pan. Grill over hot coals for 5 minutes to add smoky flavor.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Kansas City Barbeque Society’s Barbecue…It’s Not Just for Breakfast Anymore (the Kansas City Barbecue Society, Kansas City, Missouri, 1996).