Wild Rice, Zucchini, Fennel and Shrimp Pan-Fry
- Yield: servings
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 zucchini, diced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped
- 8ounces mixed long-grain and wild rice
- 2pints vegetable stock
- 7ounces peeled shrimp, raw
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, or until it softens. Stir in the zucchini and cook for 5 minutes, or until they begin to color slightly. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Add the fennel and continue cooking over low heat for 5 minutes, or until it softens. Stir in the mixed rice. Pour in a little of the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, then add most of the remaining stock and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the wild rice starts to split, add more hot stock if needed.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the shrimp, and cook for a few minutes until they turn pink. Throw in the garlic and toss with the shrimp. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley. Spoon the rice mixture into a large serving dish, and scatter the shrimp over it. Serve with the lemon wedges.